Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yoga-ing


The first week of my senior project consisted of helping out at a yoga studio, observing classes, and taking classes to master what I had observed. It's also been extremely humbling. I went into the project thinking yoga would be simple for me since I play two sports and am active much of the time but I was very wrong. So wrong. I did a lot of flailing and falling to the ground in an attempt to handstand. After about ten tries I finally got the handstand down (with my feet against the wall, but it still counts). So far I've written down about 50 various poses to incorporate into my yoga practice. These poses are put together into "flows." I've observed many flows but only actually figured two out. The most difficult pose I've been asked to complete by the end of the week is the sideways crow pose. It's one of those things you kind of have to see to understand but I'll attempt to explain. You're in a crouching position and have to lean your legs at the thigh onto your forearms where you must balance only on your palms. I put a picture to the side but that's kind of the advanced sideways crow pose the one I'm trying to do doesn't have the extended leg. It's one of the poses that showed me that yoga wasn't going to be easy as I thought it was.
Along with practicing the yoga I've been helping out around the studio. This includes mopping the floors after every class, which can get really bad after power yoga when the room is ninety degrees and literally every person has sweat dripping from them, cleaning the bathrooms :(, doing inventory in the small shop outside of the studio, and answering phones to answer yoga questions. Answering phone calls proved to be much more difficult than I thought because I didn't actually know the answers to many questions.
Overall it's been an exciting and new first week. Hope everyone else's projects are going well!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds challenging! I hope you had a great bday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach me yoga! You should do like.. your own class over the summer! haha i would attend :)

    ReplyDelete