Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Monday, May 17, 2010

International Partners in Mission

Hey y'all. I am thrilled that i'll get a chance to get out of the office this week. Right now I have been contacting a woman at Esperanza Threads, a cooperative that helps underprivileged women in dire situations make income through sewing and making clothes. ET is also one of the project partners IPM works with in the United States. At IPM I have been writing and tweaking website pages and am currently working on a big research project that will span 9-15 pages long. You might think this is something you would hate doing, but since I am going to major in International Relations, I think of it as a benefit and good opportunity for me to learn more about IPM's foundation and purpose. I have to write three project summaries: Non-formal education, micro-enterprise, and organizational development. I have to write one page that defines the word and 2-4 on specific, highlighted IPM projects that fall under each category. For example, Esperanza Threads is a micro-enterprise and is part of non-formal education. Micro-enterprise means small business and non-formal education means training in vocational and practical skills are being taught outside a formal school system. The women at Esperanza Threads are taught how to sew and then are able to sell what they have created. In addition to highlighting the projects I then analyze what IPM has done in the past, what it is doing now, and where it sees itself in the future with these projects.


Now, this is pretty random, but I noticed I have the same bathroom schedule with a random woman who works in the same building. The first time I tried unlocking the door and finally I opened it and had an awkward encounter with the woman. She seemed incredibly understanding of my clumsiness. So I went to the bathroom. 2 hours later, what do you know, I am in the same situation, spending at least 2 minutes fidgeting with the door and I can hear the toilet flushing and i'm thinking what awkward encounter will occur next. WELL i open the door and it's the same WOMAN. I call her bird lady cause she kind of looks like a bird. I was contemplating saying "Look we have the same pee schedule!" I didn't push the awkwardness.



The woman I am contacting at Esperanza Threads is named Sister Mary Eileen. She is setting me up with the volunteer coordinator who needs someone to help teach English to refugee children from Burma (a country that is bordered by China, Laos, India, Bangladesh, Thailand, and the Bay of Bengal). I hope that they will need me this week, seeing that we have 2 and half weeks left!! I am really excited for this opportunity, knowing that they not only have to adjust to a different language, but a different culture and land. At IPM i'm beginning to realize how important it is not to just give something of material to someone in need, but instead listen and understand his or her's struggles and be able to motivate change. IPM's purpose is to spread peace and justice across borders for mostly women, youth, and children. Their goal is to not freely give supplies, food, or materials to a community, but to make close partnerships with a project site where financial support will be given to the organization in an effort to provide aid, training, and security for individuals in need. This method teaches independence rather than dependence.


As I move forward with the rest of my project I am learning to have patience. I have waited a long time after calling Esperanza Threads a few times. While I was disappointed Sister Mary Eileen hadn't returned my calls, I met with her at Namaste and was able to connect with her way better than on the phone. She told me she was very busy. So I relaxed and learned that she had a plan for me. I am learning not only to have patience, but more organization. I plan out how to schedule my job, lacrosse, interviews, and travel routes each morning and then do the same with each task I am given at IPM.

I am praying that I will open up my email and see SISTER MARY EILEEN in my inbox. I cannot wait to meet the refugee children and hope they still need me.



1 comment:

  1. Nat, this was hysterical! Sounds like you're having fun... make sure you take a picture with you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete