Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Friday, May 14, 2010

Namaste Celebration/ Working with International Partners In Mission


For my senior project I am helping International Partners in Mission, a non-profit organization that works to spread peace and justice across borders for women and children. They have 60 project partners throughout Asia & Indian Sub-Continent, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East & North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, and the United States. IPM has a very small office building in Cleveland Heights, however, their impact is unbelievable. It is truly amazing how such an organization can make a difference with such little space as a headquarters. Although they work in Cleveland, IPM is all about having a close relationship with each of its partners. Their closeness is maintained through immersion trips, project reports, phone calls, and even Skype!
Each morning I have a different task. As we're nearing Namaste! (IPM's 8th annual cultural celebration) I have been helping Jessica, a graduate from Ohio University with the event. We have created poster boards that represent some of the regions IPM works with. The first day was incredibly exhausting. I translated so many letters from students in El Salvador and posted each translation as a word document. The letters were heart-warming. As I read through each one in Spanish I learned that the common desire of each student was to see a picture of all of us at IPM. It was adorable! By the way, each letter had a picture of the child and sometimes a picture of their school, home, or the outdoors. Other tasks I have done include making phone calls to get more people to come to Namaste, re-written some of the websites, and tweaked other pages too. I am very excited for a change with the event. Namaste is today (Friday the 14th from 6-10pm so come for only $15 and you can enjoy all the international food you could ask for and get to see what IPM is all about! There will be a silent auction and other entertainment. As for tomorrow, I will be busy helping IPM set up and attending the event in the evening. I hope to try as much exotic food as I can..yummy!
Currently I am trying to communicate with the staff at Esperanza Threads so that I can help volunteer there as well as at IPM. The woman who is charge there is very busy so I have to keep calling ): Hopefully I'll start there next week!










3 comments:

  1. Post info about the Namaste event! I would like to go. Ms. Mierke sent out something, but I don't know about my kids.

    Keep up the great work. Use your Spanish :) I hope you are able to work with Esperanza as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's from 6-10pm at the Rockefeller Center! off of Lee and Mayfield.

    ReplyDelete