Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A visit with the vet

For my project I am working with Dr. Richman at his animal clinic in Richmond Heights. Dr. Richman has a freshmen son at Hawken, Chris. Everyday I follow around Dr. Richman and his two techs Robin and Nicole. I watch them work with the animals, doing surgeries, dental care, diagnosing patients, and routine visits.

The first day got off with a bang with two surgeries to do. The first was a cat named Camper who was going to be neutered and his teeth were nasty (since he was old) so they pulled three of his teeth and cleaned the rest of them. The second was a larger boxer named Deuce who also needed to be neutered. Both surgeries went well! I thought I would be a little uncomfortable watching them but I was alright, not nauseous or anything. Then that day I saw some routine visits, like checkups for humans. One was a very cute 1.6 pound chihuahua, it was so small!

The week was also very sad. One owner brought in a 7 year old lab, when he was a puppy he swallowed a pop can and the owner had to pay 4,000 dollars to have it removed. The owner was worried that it had happened again because the dog was showing all of the same symptoms but she could not pay for the surgery again so she asked the Dr. to put it down :(

So far its been amazing to learn all the stuff that vets do! I have asked so many questions, I am learning a lot about what it takes to be a vet!

I hope everyone else is having fun at their projects =]!
Clara
ps. it took me like 3 hours to figure this out.. i felt like my mom trying to facebook or something!

2 comments:

  1. Clara I cant believe you got to see two surgeries on your first day at work! That's incredible. I'm sorry to hear that such a young dog had to be put down. That had to be hard to watch. The puppy sounds extremely cute! Do you have any picutures of it? Good luck next week, I hope you get to see many more cute animals.

    -Halle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara,
    I am so glad you got to have this experience rather than the court reporting. Plus, you get to spend time with all those animals. Keep sharing!
    sraB

    ReplyDelete