Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Encounters with a CEO

So...my project is at Educational Management Services, Inc. And I'm working with a lady from my church, Christine Gregory. You know all that FAFSA stuff that we had to do for college if you wanted financial aid, etc.? Well, if you went to one of the schools that EMS works with (which tend to be small trade and technical schools across the U.S. and Puerto Rico) you would turn the FAFSA into your school and they would send it to EMS, who then inputs it and sends off to the Feds.
Exciting, right?
Yeah...I know...doesn't sound like it.
But, I am learning a lot.
I started last Wednesday, and have since created a powerpoint, written up some letters, emailed and snail-mailed some clients and played some sudoku. But, I already knew how to do that kind of stuff. The majority of what I'm learning is from just being in the prescence of a successful small business owner. EMS has been up and running since '85 and by being around Mrs. Gregory, I am being constantly presented with the mindset necessary for anyone who wants to be an effective leader. Because the office is so small, about 5 other employees, including Mrs. Gregory, it gives me a lot of personal interaction with her and in seeing how things operate on all levels: the type of environment employees best work in, how to optimally use space, how to be efficient, the necessity of advancement and improvement, etc. I've also been allowed to sit in on a meeting while Mrs. Gregory discussed and finished advising the development of a new software.
Tomorrow I'm off to Jefferson to help and sit in on one of the many workshops that Mrs. Gregory leads at the different conferences to which she is invited. Towards the end of the month will be going to Chicago for 4-5 days for another conference.
Well..that's all that has been going on so far.
Oh! And unlike, Ellen, I don't get massages, but I do have a big leather chair that spins.
Oh! Oh! And I saw Eby running down Euclid for a good 4 blocks. I must say I was pretty entertained. <---that was random, but necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying the process. Hope your trips are great! Don't forget us.
    SRaB

    ReplyDelete