Welcome to our blog, ladies!

Instead of written midterm reports, I would like to see you sharing thoughts, experiences, anecdotes, etc. with the whole group.
Basic requirements will be the following:
  • One post per week minimum about your own project.
  • One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
  • Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
  • Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
  • Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Happy project and happy blogging, ladies. :)

SraB

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Crime Fighting in Shaker Heights

Hey Girls! I hope everyone is having a fantastic project! I know this sounds cliche, but my first week started off with a bang... literally.
This week Becky and I reported for work at the Shaker Heights Police Department. The first day was a little dull because we were only able to observe the hectic organization of a Monday. On Tuesday Becky and I observed court where we witnessed a woman get arrested for refusing to pay her court fees. After lunch Becky and I were asked to help two of the detectives prepare a homicide case for trial. It was very interesting to see the culmination of the investigation.
On Wednesday morning, at 5:30 am, long before I was supposed to report for work, a man was spotted breaking into my car which was parked in our driveway. My brother's ipod was stolen and my front seat was a mess, but my car was not damaged. It turns out that the burglar had spent the morning breaking into cars in my neighborhood. The police were called and a lot excitement ensued at our house (I will expand upon the details when I am cleared to do so). The suspect was apprehended and was shot a few houses away from ours. I was able to watch as detectives "processed" (fingerprinted, etc.) my car which had become part of the crime scene. Due to the excitement I spent the morning filing papers as the department sorted through all of the details.
Becky and I spent the majority of Thursday and Friday in shift/traffic ride-alongs. I was able to witness everything from traffic violations to the process of responding to the scene of a crime, this time one that was not in my own backyard.
I have had an extremely exciting week, and I have gained so much respect for all of the men and women working at the Police Department.

-Halle

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe that just as you were headed out to spend the day with the police that your car was broken into! What a story to share and will make the whole experience even more relevant! Keep us informed on your activities.
    SraB

    ReplyDelete